This month we’re going to stretch our creative muscles. You’re probably never done a challenge like this before — but I think you’re ready for something different.
Ok, here goes. Sometimes the craziest of things happen when we give up control. When we allow ourselves to create without any preconceived notion of what we want to end up with — in other words, when we just “go with the flow,” really unexpected and, dare I say, amazing things bubble to the surface.
So … we’re going to let the words in my journal prompts freebie tell us what to create. Randomly choosing from words or phrases not only adds the element of surprise, it forces us to let go of boundaries we might not even realize exist. Sound interesting?
Do you think you can create a page using an approach you’ve never tried before? Are you willing to try?
Here are specific steps to follow — you’ll also want to watch the video below to see exactly how I made my page.
1. Open a new document in your scrapbooking software of choice, in whatever size you like.
2. Open the folder containing my June 2020 Challege Prompts
- Windows users, open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder with the Challenge Prompts and open it. From the Menu, choose View>List. You will see a list of all the file names NOT pictures of what they are! That’s on purpose – don’t look at the the words ahead of time!
- Mac users, open Finder, navigate to the folder with the Challenge Prompts and from the Menu, choose View>As List. You will see a list of all the file names NOT pictures of what they are! That’s on purpose – don’t look at the the words ahead of time!
3. Pick a number between 1 and 85, find that numbered PNG file and drag it into your page.
4. Repeat 9 more times, so that you have 10 randomly chosen images on your page.
5. Play with the words/phrases to form groupings that speak to you. The groupings don’t need to “make sense” or follow conventional grammar rules and there will probably be words missing. You can disregard any punctuation that may appear on the words and you may choose not to use some of the images if they don’t work with whatever bubbles up for you. You’re creating poetry — of a sort — so don’t stress over it. Just keep re-arranging them until something works. If you get frustrate, a few more randomly chosen words and play some more.
6. Using your “poetry” as inspiration, build your page under the words, adding whatever elements and kit bits feel right. For an even bigger challenge, you can randomly grab elements that catch your attention and not actually plan which ones to choose.
I can’t wait to see what you come up with – and if this challenge spoke to you! Please let me know what you think of this type of challenge in the comments when you post your page.
As always, the Challenge Rule are below – and as always, remember that
- Your page can be as “arty” as you want – or not arty all
- Ir doesn’t need to be “heavy” or “deep” — unless you wish it to be
My Challenge Page
I was really astonished at my results. When I first saw my words/phrases, I had absolutely no idea what to do with them. But as I arranged and re-arranged them, suddenly a “story” started to form and the rest fell into place pretty easily.
I used elements from my Time to Renew Collection, June’s Featured Collection, which is 50% off. If you use mainly elements from the Collection on your page, you’ll get another entry into the coupon drawing.
The Challenge Rules
Participants in my monthly challenges are entered into a drawing for a $5.00 coupon to my shop! Challenge winners and participants may be featured on my website, in my newsletter and social media.
The June challenge is to use the instructions above to create a page using my Journal Prompts freebie.
If your page mainly consists of June’s featured “Time to Renew” collection on your page, you’ll automatically be entered a second time in the coupon drawing!
Any other products used on the page must be by Vicki Robinson Designs.
Upload your page to the Vicki Robinson Designs Gallery at Oscraps. See button below for instructions on how to do this.
Come back to this Challenge post and leave a comment, along with a link to your page in my gallery. See button below for instructions on how to do this.
This challenge runs through the last day of the month. The winner will be announced on this page and notified via PM in the Oscraps forum the following week.